What are Remote Desktop Services?
Remote desktop services is a mature technology from Microsoft that allows many users to connect to “Remote Desktops” hosted on a central server or in the cloud such as Azure. Remote Desktop allows users to access their desktop and applications from anywhere and from a variety of devices and operating systems.
“Its like having your office PC everywhere!”
Some of the advantages of this include:
- A consistent desktop experience for all users, which is easily accessible from any device, including desktops (Mac and Windows), laptops, tablets (iOS, Android, windows) and smartphones!
- Users can connect from anywhere with access to the same desktop, data and business applications
- Data is stored centrally so company data is protected and easy to share
- The system can be accessed from relatively inexpensive “dumb” terminals which require little maintenance
- As all “remote desktops” are hosted on a centralised server(s) application management and updating is simplified
- Applications are fast and responsive
- Provisioning new users takes minutes as the environment is already setup
- Connections can be made from older hardware which reduces costs involved in upgrading client machines
- Remote desktops can be centrally configured and locked down to give a consistent experience.
Remote Desktops can be provisioned in a number of ways and locations, including Offices, Data Centre or in Cloud Providers such as Microsoft Azure and Amazon AWS. itQED have experience in deploying and maintaining Remote Desktop Servers and server farms in all of these locations.
Deployment in Azure
Cloud Services and Infrastructure as a service (IaaS) are growing rapidly and maturing to a point that they can provide a Secure, Scalable and Smooth experience for all businesses. Deploying infrastructure in the cloud has a number of advantages, some of which are briefly described below:
- The infrastructure and associated configuration can be deployed via scripts to ensure rapid consistent deployments and fast recovery in the event of disaster
- The infrastructure is easily scalable so extra VMS can be added or removed depending n current requirements
- You only pay for what you use rather than owning under / over utilised hardware
- Stay updated with the latest operating systems and software
- Configurations can range from small deployments for a few users through to large scale fully redundant deployments for hundreds of users
- Flexible geo-redundant backups, allowing restores of full virtual machines or individual files and folders
- Servers and infrastructures can be placed in specific datacentres worldwide including the UK
itQED have implemented Remote Desktop Services across numerous client sites with great feedback! Our experience in this area puts us one step ahead of our competitors, allowing our wide breath of knowledge to be applied in deploying Remote Desktop solutions to fit our client’s needs.
Please contact us to discuss any requirements or to discuss the options available,